The school encourages the letting of school premises to the local community, because:
- it involves the community actively in the life of the school;
- it fosters links between the school and a range of local, voluntary and community groups;
- it encourages parents to think of the school as more than just the place they send their children to each day – more as a resource to make full use of;
- it raises funds for the school.
However, the school recognises that their primary role is to educate children. Therefore the following criteria shall apply to the consideration of any application for a letting of school premises:
- in agreeing to any potential letting, the school shall have regard to the impact it might have on the safe and efficient functioning of the school for teaching and learning, including the consequences of any physical disruption to the premises or resources of the schools;
- the letting will cover any costs incurred by the school (except by agreement in advance with the Chair of Governors, and only in exceptional circumstances);
- the hirer will need to assure the school that the hiring is being done by someone associated with the school (such as a parent) or otherwise has educational or community value;
- the hirer shall be bound by a written set of terms and conditions;
- the school shall have the absolute right, within the wish to maximise income from lettings, to refuse any letting which might bring the schools into disrepute, or where there is any doubt that the costs associated with the letting might be recovered.
Conditions of Hire
- All hirings will be at the discretion of any two of Headteacher, School Administrator and any one other member of the Governing Body. Consideration will be given to regular users and prior bookings.
- Applications for the hire of part of the school premises must be in writing on the enclosed form. The scale of charges and hours of letting are set out on the enclosed sheet. A deposit of 50% of the total charges payable is due with the application and the balance must be paid within 7 days of receipt of invoice. Application may be made not earlier than 48 weeks before the date of the hiring and are taken in the order in which they are received. In the event of a revision of the changes for the hire after the date of application and before a hiring is confirmed by the school governors the hirer shall pay the revised charge.
- The hirer may cancel a booking upon giving a minimum of fourteen days notice in writing. If the building or the room hired is not re-let on the date or dates in question 50% of the deposit will be forfeited. If a hiring is cancelled within the fourteen days preceding the date of the hiring the hirer will pay to the school governors the balance of the charges due.
- The governors reserve the right by notice in writing to the hirer to terminate the hiring at any time, for reasons outside of their control, and to return to the hirer any monies paid by way of deposit, but the Governors will not be under any liability to hirer for any loss or damage that he may sustain arising out of such termination.
- The hirer shall not assign the benefit or burden of hiring or sublet the premises or any part thereof.
- The Governors and their representatives reserve the right to enter every part of the premises at all times.
- The whole school is a no smoking zone and hirers must ensure that there is no smoking at any event.
- The capacity of the hall and classrooms is as set out below.
Type of function Capacity Hall with seating arranged for a stage show 150 Hall with no seating for dances/discos 200 Classroom for meetings 40
- Lettings shall be for the particular rooms and toilets as described in the confirmation of booking, and hirers shall ensure that no one enters other parts of the premises.
- The kitchen may be available to use, at the discretion of the School Caterer. The hirer must arrange to meet the School Caterer prior to the event and at her convenience, at the school, to be instructed in the use of the kitchen premises and equipment.
- Other school equipment may be available to hire or use, such as chairs, tables, overhead projector and screen by arrangement.
- Space for parking of cars may be provided on the front playground but entrances and exits must be kept clear for emergency usage.
- Regular lettings shall take place during term time only.
Provision of Stewards
The hirer shall provide such number of attendants and stewards as may be necessary to secure the efficient supervision of the premises during the hiring, including the following:
a. The orderly and safe admission and departure of persons to and from the premises and the orderly and safe clearance of the premises in case of emergency;
b. The safety of the premises and the preservation of good order and decency therein: and
c. Ensuring that the fire exit from the room is unlocked and unobstructed and immediately available for exit during the whole time the premises are in use.
d. The cloakrooms will be in the care and custody of the hirer, who must provide his own attendants and be responsible for any loss that may occur.
- Hirers are responsible for arranging public entertainment’s licence, PRS / PPL licences and stage play licence if they are required. A copy of these licences must be shown the School Office on request.
- No excisable liquor shall be sold unless either an occasional licence or an occasional permission has been obtained by the hirer or on his behalf and the hirer shall ensure that any conditions attached to such licence or permission are complied with.
- The hirer shall not use the premises or any part thereof for a performance for which copyright subsists without the consent of the owner of the said copyright or in any manner infringe any subsisting copyright.
- The hirer shall comply with the conditions of the licence granted by the Performing Rights Society Ltd, and shall furnish the Council, immediately after the end of the hiring, a complete list of all songs sung and music performed giving the information required by the Society in respect of each item. A special form will be supplied to the hirer.
- If any part of the premises are to be used for purposes of gaming or games of chance of any description the hirer shall be responsible for securing that the (revisions of the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act 1963, the Gaming Act 1968, or any subsequent amending Act are fully observed and complied with.
- The hirer is responsible for making sure that the latch is down on any doors used by them during the period of hire and when they leave the premises for the last time.
- No nail or fastening of any kind shall be driven or put into any wall, or put into any wall partition, pillar or other fitting or furniture. Any decoration required must be agreed, in advance, with the caretaker.
- The hirer shall repay to the school governors on demand the cost of reinstating or replacing or repairing any part or parts of the premises, and any school property contained therein, which shall be damaged, destroyed stolen or removed during the period of hire.
- The hirer shall indemnify the school governors and Cambridgeshire County Council against claims, demands, actions or proceedings in respect of any loss, damage or injury caused by or to any persons which shall occur while such person is in or upon part of the premises or arise from any accident or occurrence which happens while such person is in or upon any part of the premises or in respect of any loss or damage suffered or sustained by any person by reason of use of the premises by the hirer.
- The hirer shall arrange insurance to cover the terms of the indemnity set out in clauses 3 and 4 above and produce for inspection written confirmation from the insurance company or broker concerned. Alternatively, if no insurance has been arranged by the hirer, the hirer may, on payment of an additional premium effect this insurance through a policy arranged by the school Governors. Please indicate clearly on the hire application form if this option is to be taken up. The current charge for this insurance is 10% of the facilities hire fee plus the Insurance Premium Tax at the current rate (4%). The minimum premium per booking, which also applies to a hire fee is £1.00 plus IPT which totals £1.04.
- The wearing of footwear of any kind that is liable to cause damage to the floor of the main hall is prohibited.
- Electrical equipment must not be brought onto the premises unless the arrangement has been approved in advance with the hirer, and the equipment has been checked and has a current certificate to confirm that it complies with the Electricity at Work Regulations.
- The premises should be left in a clean and tidy state. The school governors may by arrangement allow a hirer reasonable time to clear up and remove property either at the end of the hiring or on the following morning but in any event the premises must be clear of all property by 9am on the date after hiring. The governors do not undertake safe custody of property remaining on the premises. If the kitchen and equipment are used they are to be left in a clean and tidy condition at the end of the function. Any extra cleaning costs if the premises are left in a dirty and untidy state will be recoverable from the hirer. Any extra caretaking costs, as result of unpunctuality by the hirer in opening or closing the premises, or if extra time is required by the hirer to clear up, will be recoverable from the hirer.
- If you run a club/group that involves children, you and your staff/helpers must have had the necessary checks carried out by the Criminal Records Bureau
- There is a first aid box available in the first aid room opposite the nursery classroom. This kit contains basic equipment such as plasters and bandages.
- Availability and location of a telephone for emergency 999 calls should be established at the time of the let with the caretaker.
- Should there be a fire in the building, please make your way to the playground in front of the school. All exits are clearly marked.
- The School Caretaker should be notified immediately of any emergency.